Discover This Beautiful Small Town in Michigan’s U.P. This Fall
If you’re looking for a beautiful trip up north to admire the fall foliage, look no further than Munising, Michigan. Located in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, Munising is situated in the Hiawatha National Forest, and is located near Michigan’s famed Pictured Rocks and Grand Island National Recreation Area. Munising has a population of 2,500, giving it a charming small town feel, but the booming tourism industry ensures that visitors will never run out of things to do.
Things to Do In Munising, Michigan
- Start your morning in Munising off right with a stop at Falling Rock Café and Book Store. This coffee shop serves a wide variety of breakfast and lunch items, specialty coffees, and ice cream, in the center of a delightful bookstore that’s been said to be the center of the Munising community.
- Visit one of Munising’s 15 stunning waterfalls. From Bridal Falls to Wagner Falls, they’re all beautiful and sure to take your breath away. Make sure you stop in the Gift Shop at Horseshoe Falls for some of The Michigan Outfitter gear. Waterfall info.
- Hike to Chapel Beach. Chapel Falls is a short 1.4 mile hike from the trailhead, and another 1.8 miles puts you at Chapel Rock on gorgeous Chapel Beach. Enjoy the cool fall weather and take a walk on the lake.
- Take a Pictured Rocks Cruise. Cruises are held May-October, and provide you with the perfect opportunity to see many of the most notable Pictured Rocks landmarks including East Channel Lighthouse, Grand Island, Miners Castle, Painted Coves, Spray Falls, and Lovers Leap.
- Grab dinner at Foggy’s Steakhouse at the end of the day. A local favorite, Foggy’s offers warm, friendly service and delicious dinner options in a fun environment! The restaurant has an in-house charcoal grill, a full bar, and an excellent wait staff who are sure to make you feel right at home.
- Looking for something a little less outdoorsy to do on your trip? Munising’s Garden Bay Winery might be just what you’re looking for. Garden Bay is a small, quaint winery whose motto is, “Made with a lot of berries and a lot of love.” Visit their tasting room for some indoor fun on your Munising vacation!
Munising, Michigan is sure to delight all visitors with its delightful small town atmosphere, beautiful scenery, and wonderful restaurants and shops. Have you been to Munising? Have another U.P. favorite destination? Tell us about it in the comments below!